A Pavlova in the shape of Australia decorated with fruit in for our great states will surely “wow” your guests.
6 egg whites
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
350 ml thickened cream
I tablespoon sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 colourful fruits of your choice
(we used banana, strawberries, kiwi fruit, mandarin, grapes, blueberries, peaches and added a blueberry for the ACT)
- Print out a map of Australia and place onto large sheet of baking paper on baking tray.
- Click Here to go to where we got ours from
- Trace around the printed map to fill up the tray and create your shape of Australia
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees Celsius
- Keep printed map aside and use as a guide for your states of Australia when placing fruit
- Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating well until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar is dissolved. Rub a little meringue between your fingers and if it is still “gritty” continue to whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Spoon meringue onto the outline of Australia on the baking paper then use a spatula to help you shape your “Australia”.
- Turn oven down to 110 degrees and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meringue is firm to touch.
- Turn off oven and allow to cool overnight.
- Whip cream adding in icing sugar and vanilla
- Place cream on to the meringue then add your fruit using a different type and colour for each state.
- Serve within 2 hours
Happy Australia Day